Help › Forums

New computer - what to get ?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 26 2012 8:04 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 6:42 AM

The time has arrived to change my desktop PC for a newer model. Mine is currently a 2.66GHz Intel Pentium Nvidia ge Force graphics with 2GB of RAM. I run Xp Pro on it as I use Chrome for gaming.

I see now the latest is I5 and i7 Intel core quad , 4 GB RAM etc etc with LCD widescreens.

Sounds wonderful.

Looking at why my computer is failing, broken capacitors on Mobo, dodgy heatsink, old graphics, I do not feel a top of the range brand name is my best solution, because I live in a hot dusty climate with no airconditioning.

For 40% less than a wireless HP Pavilion I can get a regular AMD Athlon computer which works perfectly well on WGT in the internet shop, where kids play nothing but games or use Facebook.

And then I won't be so upset when it fails in a couple of years time.

Any helpful advice is welcome.

• hunter61073
    8 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 7:59 AM

Very simple answer here. Purchase the best computer your budget allows. I always keep an eye out on Ebay. (Just my opinion!) I purchased a nice Dell 23" touch screen a few months back, and to my surprise.... it was still under a 7mo. warranty.  The computer has plenty of memery, storage, and speed for what I do. Also.... the touch screen is something you cannot deny! Microsoft Blackboard on the system is an excellent game for kids too!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 8:34 AM

RAM is the key. Get one with an OS that handles as much RAM as you can get. I believe Windows 7 with a 64-bit OS can handle 8 GB of RAM. I've been running a 64-bit system with 4 GB RAM on the same laptop for 3 years.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 8:46 AM

John, you should keep the PC you have a just upgrade the RAM to a higher latency. Windows 7 32 bit will be less aggressive on the RAM as well. It works great, and the game couldn't be any smoother for me. 4GB of RAM is ample for 64 bit Windows 7.

• EARTHWALKER
    56 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 2:41 PM

I have to agree with Richard4168 here.  Your computer is fine.  There simply isn't any need to upgrade your cpu.

Mine runs at 2.1ghz and plays Almost all games perfectly; including WTG.

I will say that before my HDD drive died WGT ran a lot better as I was on windows 7 64bit with 16gigs of ram :D

Now I'm back to XP with 2gigs of ram, but still plays very well.

Important things to change to make play better are:-

1) Ram

2) OS

3) GPU - Graphics card

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 9:49 PM

oneeyedjohn:
    Looking at why my computer is failing, broken capacitors on Mobo, dodgy heatsink, old graphics,

I dont htink the others who have mentioned upgrade your old one read this paragraph. If you have dodgy capacitors on the motherboard there is no point upgrading unless you get a new motherboard too.

So...you could find a 2nd hand motherboard on ebay and have someone stuff around with your old bits and hopefully everything starts up wonderful, but you will still have to upgrade your RAM and your Graphics and you will have to format your hard drive anyway.

You are right. AMD is kinda best bang for buck at the moment however the i5/ i7 platform are leaps ahead in technology & probably more future proof for upgrades down the track.

In Australia we have local PC shops that can build one to spec or in fact have configurations to choose from. These are better value than going to your Chain Store electronics shop and buying one off the shelf.

Not sure how your situation is in Iceland.

Ebay are not the cheapest. Find a PC on ebay and get someone to build it where you are, you will save $$

A HP Pavilion is a good machine, but not great value for money.
    Dell are a little more pricey but have OUTSTANDING warranties and aftewr sales service. 

I would get a custom built one from your local PC shop.

If you are looking at AMD then get Phenom II 965 3.6ghz

However my preference would be Intels 'i' series

CPU:  Intel Core i5 2500K  3.3ghz 

Forget "integrated" "on board" graphics, dedicated are far more reliable and dont borrow from your system memory

Graphics: starting point is a Radeon GForce GTS450 card (Approx $100) (high end cards are close to $1000) anything less isnt worth the money. 

128bit should be the least, if you can get a 256bit even better for around that money

Memory: 4gb is probably ample for you however Memory is so cheap these days why not go to 8GB

Dont buy a bottem end Motherboard. These will burst their capacitors under your dry hot conditions too soon.

I'd recommend a mid range Gigabyte or ASUS board.

Hard Drive:  1 Terrabyte is cheap, 2 terrabytes also cheap. 500GB? spend $20 more for a 1T

and of course Windows 7 64bit Home Premium. to run it all on.

So you have a starting point with Windows,  CPU, Motherboard, Graphics, Hard Drive and Memory.

The rest doesnt matter.

DVD drive any will do

Speakers, Keyboard, mouse (stay away from bluetooth mouse for WGT)
    (I like Logitech products for these.)

However. Your monitor is what you are looking at. It is the one that is the eye candy.

Get a good one. 22"/ 24"  is a sweet spot for price right now really anything bigger (27"+) is overkill unless your gaming or manipulating large spreadsheets.

Samsung are the talk of the town at the moment. get a decent LED one
    Benq and Asus also have good offerings. Keep in mind 80% of monitors use Samsung panels anyway. 

Your existing Internet gear should be fine. (Stay away from pure wireless connections if you can help it. A phone line hard wire connection is far more reliable and stable)

Hope that gives you a bit of a launch pad.

Considerations you may want to keep in mind:

USB ports how many do you need for your external devices, such as Keyboard/ Mouse/ Camera/ external hard drives etc.
    Check the motherboard or the CASE has ample.

CASE - in your  Hot Dusty climate, be sure the case has adequate cooling. 2 - 3 case fans and a filtered intake

Although we all know you could 'get away' with the AMD you tried WGT on in the store NOW.  Onc eyou fgill it with yuor own stuff, will it perform the same?

The recommendations I have offered are NOT over the top, a little over a 'Budget pc'

With the idea of smooth WGT & internet and basic things other people do with their PCs, these options are bang for buck right now.

In Australia this system would run about $500 + monitor ~ $220
    Australia price is similar to US price at the moment - a tad cheaper 

Spend the max your budget will allow NOW. 

Feel free to Message me with any questions.

My website:
    www.bluemountainspc.net

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 2:57 AM

Thanks Shrude, that is all i wanted to hear.

Perfect

I have my nephew racing across Bangkok right now to get more RAM to stick in my windows 7 ultimated AMD system.

64 bit yes.

I don't do much else on my computer apart from from watch TV/ films and torrent occasionally.

My nephew, god bless im, did explain the graphics, which I think amounted to pretty much what you are saying.   hopefully

Appreciate all the advice above.    Thank You all

Yes my current computer is on its last legs, might fail today or whenever, I am not gonna spend money on an old system, have already, -new DVD rw/ drive, new power thingamejig, new HDD 500GB, new graphics card, new ethernet connection card twice, if the Mobo is knackered then it is not replaceable, too old, so it ain't worth repairing is it.

I want one of those super smooth LCD screens anyway, can' wait.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 3:11 AM

oneeyedjohn:
    AMD system.

Phenom II   ?

oneeyedjohn:
    pretty much what you are saying.   hopefully

As long as isnt onboard.

oneeyedjohn:
    new HDD 500GB,

Only a few bucks more like $20 for 1T  twice as much space

oneeyedjohn:
    new ethernet connection card

Wont need that with a new Motherboard, they all come with it.

oneeyedjohn:
    if the Mobo is knackered then it is not replaceable, too old, so it ain't worth repairing is it.

Nope, I mentioned MID range Motherboard from Gigabyte or ASUS.

These have SOLID Capacitors will last forever...ish

oneeyedjohn:
    I want one of those super smooth LCD screens anyway, can' wait.

its all LED screens now , although they are essentially LCD, their backlights are LED, Better blacks and whites.

I am sure you are looking forward to a news system!!

• helen1972
    347 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 3:27 AM

Could anyone remotely human please give a translation of all the above posts ? I know I'm " only a woman " ! but I thought we were here to play golf, lol

Helen x

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 4:42 AM

helen1972:
    but I thought we were here to play golf, lol

The forums are full of wonderful things, many unrelated to golf. In this case it is related.

A WGT member has asked the community some tips on upgrading his Computer.

He plays WGT with his Computer.

That was done, now he can enjoy golf with hopefully a smoother and more rewarding WGT experience.

:)

Oh and never say "I am only a women"  women are very precious and valuable , never 'only just a woman"

• PAGES
RSS